|Vanilla Cupcake with Strawberry Filling|
Let me first start off by saying I had not originally planned on making a strawberry filled cupcake. Originally I set out to make cupcakes with a warm gooey caramel filling. The kind of caramel that reminds you of sundaes topped with warm caramel syrup. What I ended up with was a runny light colored soybean flavored mess. Nevertheless when your attempt at caramel flops miserably there's only one solution... fruit fillled cupcakes.
I decided on basic chocolate and vanilla cupcakes filled with a strawberry filling and topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting. The vanilla version reminded me of a revamped strawberry shortcake cupcake and was defiantely the favorite of the two.
2 cups of sliced strawberries
2 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup water
- In a saucepan bring strawberries and water to a high simmer
- Add sugar and mix well
- In separate bowl mix with 2 tbsp water
- Add cornstarch mixture to fruit mixture
- Stir constantly until mixture thickens
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool
*I ended up blending my strawberry mixture using a hand-held blender to achieve a more consistent texture *
- Make your favorite basic vanilla and/or chocolate cupcake
- Core out the centers and set tops aside
- Fill middles with strawberry mixture
- Place tops back in cupcake holes
- Frost cupcakes and top with fresh cut strawberries, jelly belly candies, sprinkles, or whatever else you like
Overall this fruit combination was a huge success particularly with those who prefer sweeter tasting fillings. Despite my crisis aversion I am still a little disappointed with my caramel failure. Any suggestions on how to achieve the perfect vegan caramel filling would be greatly appreciated.
How do you deal with disappointments when baking?