|Chocolate Banana Cupcake|
Sometimes you buy bananas thinking your going to eat them but life gets in the way and they’re left to get all spotty and brown on your counter. Stuck with some very spotty bananas that were simply too brown to eat, it was time to either use them or throw them out. After some debating about the possible flavor combinations to use with my bananas I decided on a simple banana chocolate combination.
These cupcakes were rich and decadent. The perfect pick me up for those days when life just needs to be a little sweeter.
|The Inspiration: Spotted Banana|
- Replace the eggs in your favorite non-vegan cupcake recipe with mashed banana using a 1:1 ratio
- Replace milk with a non-dairy variety
- Replace butter in recipe with earth balance margarine
Chocolate Fudgey Filling
- 1 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegan margarine
- 2-3 tablespoons of “milk”
- Melt chocolate chips on low in the microwave, stirring frequently until melted (You can also use a double broiler method if you prefer)
- Add margarine and milk in increments until desired consistency is achieved
|Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudgy Filling|
Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 2 cups of Icing Sugar
- ½ cup of Cocoa Powder
- 3 tbsp of leftover Fudgy Filling (optional)
- 1/2 cup of margarine
- ½ cup of vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Cream the margarine, shortening and fudgy filling until well combined
- Add vanilla and cocoa powder
- Slowly add icing sugar to mixture (increasing the mixing speed as it combines)
- Add milk to achieve desired consistency
The final product:
- Cut the centers out of your banana cupcakes
- Add chocolate fudgy filling and cover the holes
- Top with Chocolate Buttercream icing and banana chips
|The final Product|
I took the finished product to my staff meeting to share with my coworkers. These cupcakes were completely gobbled up no problem. My personal favorite was the chocolaty fudge filling.
How do the ingredients in your kitchen impact your baking decisions?